Friday, May 13, 2011

Social Responsibility

The other day I needed some new white-out.  It had been a long time since I had purchased any.  Much to my surprise, I noticed the ecolutions option package.  I looked on the back of the package and it gave a website along with a little teaser about this “wite-out” being recyclable.  Why not???  Can’t be any worse than the old stand-by white out.
When I got home, I looked up the website.  It was true.  Bic has taken responsibility for their products.  It was encouraging.  Pens, inks, white out and many other items have now gone green or sustainable and water based. 
This made me begin to think about the little things we take for granted.  How great a big company like Bic is conscientious about our vulnerable state of the landfills?   So how did it work?  It worked fine.  The white was not quite as thick as before.  The tape was a little more flimsy and thin.  However, this is when our responsibility and accountability come in.  Is it so bad to take a little more time with our efforts in order that the landfills become less toxic, thereby polluting our earth less and less?  I really don’t mind taking a little more effort if it means our water is purer and the microbes that clean it rejuvenate as water filters to be recycled.  We have become such a fast paced society that it may just be nice to slow down and smell the clean air.

No comments:

Post a Comment